VIDEORECIPE The best Creamy Potato Salad Recipe
Hands down, this is my favorite creamy potato salad recipe.See how to make a homemade potato salad with a simple classic dressing.
- 2 pounds small yellow red or white potatoes
- 1 tbl apple cider wine or rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbl yellow mustard
- whole substitute Dijon or grain mustard
- 1⁄2 medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 3 celery stalks (finely chopped)
- 1 medium dill pickle (finely chopped)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs optional (peeled and chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh herbs parsley dill
- tarragon or cilantro
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
COOK POTATOES :
Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with 1 1/2 inches of water. Season with salt — use one teaspoon for every quart of water. Bring the water to a boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
Meanwhile, set up an ice bath. Add cold water to a medium bowl filled with ice. Drain the potatoes and add to the ice bath. When cool, peel potatoes by gently pinching the skin and pulling it away. Chop peeled potatoes into bite-size chunks then add to a large bowl. Scatter the vinegar over potatoes and lightly season with salt.
While the potatoes cook, add the onions to a small bowl and cover with cool water. Wait 10 minutes then rinse. (This tones down the raw flavor of the onions).
Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, and the mustard in a bowl.Add sour cream mixture, de-flamed onion, celery, pickles, eggs, and herbs to the potatoes. Gently stir to combine. (Try not to mash the potatoes).
Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you have the time, refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.