VIDEORECIPE Easy Homemade Lasagne Recipe
A delicious homemade lasagne with rich beef ragu, creamy béchamel and golden cheese topping. A comfort food classic.
The recipe can be found in this article
The perfect guide to different types of pasta and their uses
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 carrot peeled and finely diced
- 3 chestnut (brown) mushrooms finely diced
- 500 g minced beef (ground beef) 12-20% fat
- 3 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 cube beef stock crumbled
- 28 oz canned chopped tomatoes (2 x 400g)
- 1 tbl light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tablespoon butter salted or unsalted is fine
- 4 tablespoon plain/all-purpose flour
- 3 cups full fat milk (720ml)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch of nutmeg optional
- 50 g mozzarella grated or chopped finely
- 50 g strong cheddar grated
- 12 sheets of dried lasagne the kind you don’t need to pre-cook
- 1 cups mixed grated cheese. I use a combination of regular cheddar, red cheddar and mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
We start by frying onion in a pan with a little oil. Add garlic, carrot and finely chopped mushrooms (this bulks out the dish and adds flavour).
Once softened, add in the minced beef and brown in the pan, then add in tomato puree, oregano, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, a crumbled stock cube, tinned tomatoes, a little brown sugar and a good pinch of salt and pepper.Stir, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes while you make the béchamel sauce.
Béchamel Sauce (or white sauce) : Melt butter in a saucepan, then stir in flour to form a paste.
Slowly stir in milk, and keep stirring (using a hand whisk) over the heat until thickened. Stir in cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
Assemble the Lasagne. Now take your lasagne dishSpread a little of the meat sauce over the base of the dish. You don't need a lot. It's just to stop the lasagne sheets from sticking to the base of the dish.
Top with lasagne sheets (try not to overlap, but we don't want big spaces either). Then top with a third of the béchamel, followed by a third of the meat sauce.Repeat twice more - lasagne ->béchamel->meat sauce->lasagne->béchamel->meat sauce
Then sprinkle on the cheese and place in a preheated oven at 200C/400F for 25 - 30 minutes, until the cheese is golden. *it will take at least 25 minutes until the pasta is cooked in the sauce - so if the top of your lasagne starts looking too brown, place some foil on top.