VIDEORECIPE The Best Beef Goulash Recipe
A warming stew of fall-apart beef in a rich and slightly smoky tomato and paprika sauce. Make this goulash in the oven or the slow cooker.
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 g beef braising steak (cut into bite-size chunks)
- 2 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 brown onions( peeled and diced)
- 2 cloves fat garlic( peeled and minced)
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika just use regular if you don't have smoked
- pinch large of salt and pepper
- 28 g canned chopped tomatoes in juice
- 2 ml hot beef stock (water)
- 1 tablespoon honey optional this is just to neutralize some of the acidity from the tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers (deseeded and sliced)
- 1 ml sour cream
- Cooked pasta such as pappardelle
- tagliatelle or penne
- a handful of chopped parsley
- Extra sour cream
Preheat the oven to 170C/325F. Heat up the oil in your dutch oven or oven-friendly casserole dish.Dredge the beef in the flour, salt and pepper and fry in 2-3 batches until well-browned.
Once browned, remove from the pan and place in a bowl.
Turn down the heat and place the onions in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring (try to scrape up a some of the brown bits that may have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Keep the heat low to ensure it doesn't burn).
Add in the garlic and tomato puree, stir, then add the beef back in.Sprinkle the beef with the paprika, salt and pepper and stir to coat.
Then pour in the canned tomatoes, beef stock and honey. Stir and bring to a simmer.
Once simmering, scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan and stir. Then place a lid on and place in the oven to cook for 3 hours 30 minutes.
Check and stir 2 or 3 times during cooking to ensure nothing is sticking and that there is still plenty of liquid (you can add a splash of water if needed).
After 3 and ½ hours, add in the peppers, stir and put back in the oven for 30 minutes.
Take out of the oven, stir, then swirl the soured cream on top, sprinkle with parsley and serve with pasta and extra sour cream.