VIDEORECIPE Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala
. Make this iconic curry at home!!! It's a stunner - and although there's an extensive looking list of ingredients, it's astonishingly straight forward. Far better than paste in a jar, less oily than restaurants, and you can get everything you need from s
CHICKEN TIKKA MARINADE
- 600 g chicken thigh boneless, skinless cut into 1cm cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup plain yoghurt, full fat besst (Greek is fine)
- 6 cloves garlic( minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger(grated)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp each salt(cumin, ground coriander, paprka sweet, normal or ssmokey))
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 0.13 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch black pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon oil
CURRY SAUCE SPICES
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 0.13 tsp cardomon powder
- 0.13 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion(finely chopped brown, white or yellow)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger(grated)
- 6 cloves garlic(crushed or grated)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (not smoked)
- 400 ml tomato passata (tomato puree)
- 400 ml water
- 1 ml cream (thickened or pure is fine)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 50 g unsalted butter OR ghee
- basmati rice
Combine all ingredients except chicken in a bowl and mix. Add chicken and turn well to coat.Cover with cling wrap and leave in fridge to marinate overnight (3 hours minimum).
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan over high heat until smoking. Add half the chicken and spread out. Leave for 2 minutes or until charred. Turn each piece and cook the other side until charred - don't worry if not cooked inside. ( Video helpful here) Remove into bowl.
Scrape out charred bits left in pan and discard. Add more oil if required and cook remaining chicken.Wipe skillet with paper towels (or do this part in a pot as you need a lid). Turn heat down to medium high.
Add oil and butter. When butter is melted, add onions, ginger and salt.
Cook, stirring constantly to ensure it doesn't burn, until the ginger is starting to turn golden and the onions smell sweet, about 5 - 7 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and paprika, and cook for 2 minutes.Add the Curry Sauce Spices, and cook a further 2 minutes, stirring.
Add tomato passata and water, and mix. Bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce heat to low.Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour curry into a bowl, then use a stick blender to puree until smooth .
Return sauce to skillet. Add cream, sugar and butter. Stir to melt the butter.
Add chicken, stir. Simmer for a few minutes until the chicken is cooked through.Optional: Sprinkle with a pinch of extra garam masala at the end.
Serve over basmati rice, sprinkled with coriander/cilantro if desired. Try this No Yeast Flatbread as a quick naan!