Champagne Holiday Punch
San Francisco mixologist Erick Castro taught us how to make this easy holiday punch. It’s a flexible recipe that works with almost any base spirit. Here we use genever, blended with orange curaçao, simple syrup, bitters, sparkling water, lemon juice, sparkling wine, and a touch of grated nutmeg. Garnish with pineapple slices and whole star anise before serving. You’ll need to make a batch of Rich Simple Syrup and freeze a large block of punch ice before you begin.
- 11⁄2 cup genever, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup orange curaçao, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup rich simple syrup
- 10 dash aromatic bitters, such as angostura
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sparkling wine or champagne
- freshly grated nutmeg
- slice pineapple and star anise, for garnishing
Pour the genever, orange curaçao, simple syrup, and bitters into a punch bowl and stir to combine.
Add the sparkling water, lemon juice, and sparkling wine or Champagne just before serving.
Place a large block of ice in the punch and stir gently just to combine. Grate nutmeg over top of the punch, and garnish with pineapple slices and star anise.