How to Cook Bacon to Perfection (5 easy methods)
5 min. reading
Welcome to our simple guide on how to cook bacon like a pro! Whether you're a bacon enthusiast or a novice in the kitchen, we've got you covered. Get ready to learn the secrets of achieving crispy, mouthwatering bacon using a variety of cooking methods. Let's dive in and savour the goodness!
Bacon lovers, rejoice! We're about to embark on a culinary journey where we uncover the secrets to cooking the perfect bacon. Whether you prefer crispy, oven-baked, air-fried, or microwave-cooked bacon, we've got you covered. Let’s elevate your bacon game!
How to tell if bacon is off or stale
If you want to know how to cook the perfect bacon, first learn how to tell if the bacon you have is fresh. Here are a few telltale signs:
Colour: Your bacon is bad if it has gone brown or grey with a hint of green or blue. If the fat is white or yellow and the bacon is naturally pink in colour, it is safe to consume.
Smell: Bacon is ruined if it has an unpleasant, fishy, or sour odour. A natural meaty aroma will always accompany fresh bacon.
Touch: Bacon that is stale will feel slimy to the touch and will have a sticky shine. Good bacon is tender, juicy, and fresh.
Once you are sure your bacon is fresh, you now need to pick your preferred cooking method. Perhaps cooking time may help you to make that choice.
Pork roasts are a popular dish to cook at home. They are easy to make and taste delicious. But it is important to cook them safely in order to avoid food poisoning.
How Long Does Bacon Take to Cook?
The cooking time for bacon varies depending on the method and personal preference. Here's a general guideline:
Air Fryer: 8-10 minutes
Microwave: 1-2 minutes per slice
Oven: 15-20 minutes
Water Method: Varies based on desired crispness
Slow-cooker: Up to 5 hours
Remember to adjust the cooking time based on your bacon’s thickness and your desired level of crispness. Also, keep a close eye on the bacon as it cooks to prevent overcooking or burning.
If you have enough time on your hands, learn more about each cooking method and choose one that suits you best. Let’s get to it:
How to Cook Bacon in an Air Fryer
Craving crispy bacon without the greasy mess? Get your trusty air fryer out and follow these simple steps for air-fried bacon bliss:
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Lay the bacon strips in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes. Flip the bacon halfway through. Cook until the bacon reaches your desired crispness.
- Pat dry with a paper towel to remove any excess oil. Enjoy the perfectly crispy bacon that will make your taste buds dance with delight!
Whether green or white, asparagus is good for you. Its health benefits call for you to regularly include it in your meals. Learn more from our asparagus recipes.
How to Cook Bacon in the Microwave
When time is of the essence, the microwave comes to the rescue. Here's how to achieve quick and crispy microwave-cooked bacon:
- Place a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels.
- Lay the bacon strips on the paper towels without overlapping.
- Cover with another layer of paper towels to prevent splattering.
- Cook on high power for 1-2 minutes per slice, adjusting the time based on your microwave's power and the desired crispness.
Carefully remove the plate from the microwave, as it will be hot. Allow the bacon to cool slightly before indulging in its irresistible crunch.
How to Cook Crispy Bacon in the Oven
For bacon lovers who appreciate the classic crispy texture, oven-baked bacon is the way to go. The result? Beautifully crispy bacon that adds a delightful crunch to your breakfast spread or favourite recipes. Follow these steps for perfectly crispy bacon every time:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the bacon strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a wire rack.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the bacon reaches your desired crispness.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
Learning how to cook lobster tails can be intimidating, especially for first-timers. From boiling to broiling, there are several methods you can use to prepare them. We'll walk you through every step you need to take to perfect the art of cooking lobster tails and wow your guests with a dish worthy of a posh restaurant.
How to Cook Bacon with Water
If you're looking for a healthier alternative to frying, try cooking bacon with water. This method reduces grease and creates a tender, juicy result:
- Place the bacon strips in a cold skillet, side by side.
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of the skillet, without submerging the bacon.
- Cook over medium heat, allowing the water to gradually evaporate.
- Continue cooking until the bacon becomes crispy and golden brown.
Drain the excess fat and place the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Enjoy the guilt-free satisfaction of delicious, moist bacon.
How to Cook Perfect Bacon in a Slow Cooker
For a hands-off approach, consider cooking bacon in a slow cooker. Follow these steps for tender, melt-in-your-mouth bacon:
- Line the slow cooker with aluminium foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Place the bacon strips in a single layer, ensuring they don't overlap.
- Cook on low heat for 4-5 hours or on high heat for 2-3 hours.
The slow cooker method results in bacon that is tender, with slightly less crispness than other methods. Blot excess grease with a paper towel before serving.
Here are our top 5 bacon recipes for you to try
Best Easy Armadillo Eggs Recipe
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Onions
Sautéed Brussels sprouts with bacon and onions is a delicious and easy side dish that can be made in just a few minutes. The combination of crispy bacon, sweet onions, and tender Brussels sprouts makes this dish perfect for any meal.
Air Fryer Loaded Potatoes
Easy Bacon Egg Pie Breakfast Recipe
Savoury Zucchini Bacon Muffins Recipe